Friday 2 November 2007

Words

I've always been friendly with words. Whenever I met a new word, I would check on it - whether it seemed heavy or light, fat like an elephant or thin and slender like a deer. I would discover its meaning - how different was precaution from precocious, what did it mean to feel dizzy, how different was it to feel giddy. From where did the word come - barber came from the Roman word barba which means beard, moolah means money in Fijian. Its usage - the wind always blows, never sings or dances; the birds always flap their wings, never just move them. How to speak the words - jim-nay-shi-yum for gymnasium and gai-nah-kau-law-jist for gynaecologist. They puzzled me, amused me, entertained me, but most importantly, kept me company.


There are a few words which I love more than others. Some because they sound good, some because they have been easy to spell while some others purely on contextual basis. Here's a list of a few of them, however random it might sound and seem, I am loving this activity of putting down words. Just words. Without having to bother stringing them all together to make sense.


Bubbles, frostbite, x-ray, samosa, blueberry, blackburn, oink, Frisbee, VIBGYOR, whisper, lee, gushes, spoons, sex, education, bosom, crux, cash, pink, shimmer, glitter, lustrous, sensex, tune, strings, fangs, fish, luxury, benzene, loop, dewdrop (as a child, I thought it was one word), gleam, balls, shread, guts, glitz, blood, beef, tortoise, turtle, purple, porpoise, mess, pastings, twinkle, trickle, creek, fins, dolphins, manga, sauna, grave, casket, muffled, reaking, jealous, exit.



Remember I only love the words, not what they actually denote or connote!

4 comments:

Ace said...

In one of the episodes of the television series South Park, the inhabitants of a certain planet named Marklar speak a language called Marklar, which is similar to English in grammar and structure, but every noun in every sentence is replaced by the word 'Marklar'. For instance, if they want to say 'Mini, get me a bottle of water from the refrigerator', they will put it as 'Marklar, get me a marklar of marklar from the marklar'. They like to keep things simple, they claim. So, instead of having countless words in their dictionary and having to worry about which word to use where, this is one innovative way they come up with to make things simpler to understand and their lives easier to live. But after reading your post, I get the feeling you wouldn't quite like to live or converse with them, the simplicity of their language notwithstanding.
Words hmmm? How they have written and rewritten history; incited whistles and applause in movie halls, made, broken and mended relations, caused and stopped wars, brought us where we are. I appreciate the power that words hold, and I LOVE English. I love to speak, read and write. You are right - words give us company.
Coming to your choice of favorite words, as I once told you, the randomness is what makes them so delectable. :)
Quite clearly, your best post by far.

Gentle Whispers said...

Hmmm i know what u mean.. some of my favourite words for instance are 'popular sanguine' and 'chill'.. lol

neway, one of ur favourite words is lee!!! n even though i knw u said it has nothing to do with meanings..im still really happy

Mynie said...

it did have a tiny, little thing to do with you!

Gentle Whispers said...

awww.. im so touched.. muahhh