Thursday 1 January 2009

New Year and all that...

Well, it's the beginning of a new year and my Inbox is full of greetings -- both on my phone and e-mail. While I have been avoiding answering these wishes from my well-wishers/acquaintances, it became increasingly difficult to ignore them. So, while I was semi-drunk (yes, I am the kinds who has ego issues in conceding my full-drunkenness!) this morning after a quiet evening with my family, I had nothing better to do, but classify these greetings into different categories. And from whatever intelligence I could generate from within my intoxicated brain cells in the semi-drunken state, I have 5 broad categories. Here we go...
1)There are some greetings which are plain and simple -- just Happy New Year from XYZ and family or Wish You Luck from ABC -- Thank You.
2)Then there are the ones that are intensely poetic -- It's time 4 (yes, 4) new resolutions, new beginnings, new visions. It's a new life, afresh. It's time to remember and thus wish a Happy New Year -- Thanks, Wordsworth.
3)There are also people who believe in keeping their humour quotient up despite alcohol getting the better of them -- To all my friends and relatives who sent me love, prosperity and best wishes for 2008... it didn't work. Please send me cash for 2009 -- No sorry.
4)And when there is such festivity around, there are some who find the urge to stay "glued" to their culture, their language and not get swayed by the winds of westernisation. So, there are customised messages for them, in their own languages that send out heartwarming messages to their "cultured" clan -- Thanks, but no, thanks.
5)But what amaze me the most are the ones formatted on some mobile software by some geek, who doesn't have a life on new year's eve and finds designing forwarded messages the most interesting aspect of his/her time on earth. The designs -- all made out of a thousand commas and semi-colons, brackets and hyphens form the "cute" teddies or "sweet" flowers -- Amazing.

So, I shall have a great year after all, with so many people in the world wishing the same for me. I'm glad!

P.S.: If you defy my skills of categoristaion (yes, in semi-drunkenness) you must get back to me. I might consider your suggestions and apply them next year. :-)

5 comments:

Ace said...

Here is a Pedobear..I mean..a Teddy bear for your New Year. Which category do I belong to?

_ _
((`'-"``""-'`))
) - - (
/ (o _ o) \
\ ( 0 ) /
_'-.._'='_..-'_
/`;#'#'#.-.#'#'#;`\
\_)) '#' ((_/
#. .#
'#. .#'
/ '#. .#' \
_\ \'#. .#'/ /_
(((___) '#' (___)))

Ace said...

Darn! Ascii art FAIL after publishing comment. Copy the damn thing in word and see if it looks like a teddy. Where my teddy go?

Gentle Whispers said...

Happy New Year!! Despite all my bitching it did turn out pretty well after all.. :D

Mynie said...

@ace
No it doesn't look like a teddy. Not at all!
@gentlewhispers
Happy New Year to you too. I was certain about your good times on new year's eve after i saw your message this morning!

Ace said...

Does anybody else see the blatant partiality in the above comment? One commenter is being wished a happy new year. The other can go bang his head on a desk all of 2009. So much for a decapitated, nut-crushed teddy bear... :P