Monday 25 February 2008

Dogs

The soft paws, jagged claws, wet nose, razor-sharp canines, fur coat, the brown patch around the eye, the belly that bellows almost always, the ochre eyes. I miss each of them - I miss Oink, my dog.
It's been two long years that he's stayed away from me. Long enough to probably stop loving me. Long enough to probably forget me. Yet, when I met him today, he pounced and jumped and licked me all over. I must admit that I love the attention! I love all the adulation! And then comes my turn to pet him, to give him all the attention he needs, to pat his back, scratch his neck, to kiss his jaws and shake his hands a million times over! My turn at this never ends! For however long I stay with him, he owns me, owns my love!
Today is special because it's his birthday. I bought him a Merwan's mawa cake, which of course he shared with his siblings, quite unwillingly though. He probably knew there was something unusual about the day - the fact that I went to see him, to be with him and the cake might have definitely given it away.
I love him, still the same, well probably a little less. That could be because I miss him more. It's when I have those pensive patches that I wished he wagged his tail inciting me to inflict some violence on him (yes we did have some brawls, and tough ones at that!). Hmppphhhhhh.
Happy birthday Oinkieee

1 comments:

Ace said...

Awwwww!! What a heartfelt, lovely little piece! What an apt description! Your love for Oink seems to literally ooze out of every word you've written. You've won my heart girl hehe!
Your poem on Oink is how I got to know you, and you got to know I exist, and I owe him this little online camaraderie that I share with you. :-) And I do not agree that you love him a little less than you used to because you miss him more. Missing somebody only causes you to love them all the more. At the risk of sounding senti, I don't think he loves or misses you any less. Perhaps he just doesn't show it? ;-) But didn't he, yesterday? And I certainly wish I had witnessed some of your 'fights' with him!

Why 'Dogs' as the title? 'Oink' would have been better na?

Happy birthday Oinkeeeee!!! :-)