Monday 7 May 2007

Taken for a ride!

This may have been after a good 10 long years. I got into a double decker bus, it was late in the evening and I was rushing to get back home, headed for VT/CST. It's a given, when you get into a double decker bus, you're limbs involutarily climb up the stairs and go straight up. I believe the ones who opt against this are abnormal - they either are generally sad in life disallowing any scope for the slightest level of excitement or suffer from a severe degree of vertigo. Me being neither, propped up zealously to my seat up there.

I peeped out of the window to see the city at my feet! Mopeds scurrying past the road as if the larger vehicles were on a mission to gobble them down! The cars and the jeeps and the vans blaring their horns at undefined forces, hoping for a miracle to clear the traffic. And, in the midst of it all, were hundreds of pedestrians trying to make their existence felt by halting traffic with a single wave of their hand, assuming the duties of a traffic controller!

And all of a sudden, I spot a vacant seat on the front row! I feel elated! I jump and leap to the seat. The front seat on the "fisrst floor" of a double decker! The window upfront is open, there's cool breeze blowing through, it brushes past me and right up to the back of the bus, I guess. I spot the dizzying tail lights of a million vehicles on the street. My eyes follow their trail, but fail, the busy-ness is unimaginable. There are tall standing lamp poles, like pins with glowing, electric heads. All seem to chase and drive each other, performing an odyssey by themsleves. How the lights dance in grace! A delight for my weary, sleepy eyes!

2 comments:

Ace said...

Hey!! Chillax about the people who opt for the lower deck! Go easy on the poor beings! No I am not one of them, but many could be physically unable to climb stairs, or perhaps would have to get off in a couple of stops.
Good to see one finding bliss in things as simple as settling down on the upper deck front row seat of a BEST bus to enjoy the breeze and watch the lights that make our city glow at dusk. Isn't it amazing how subtle things like these that are nothing out of the ordinary, comfort one at the end of a long and weary day?
By the way, why have you titled it 'Taken for a Ride!"? It might make one look forward to the narration of a conning incident.
A blog entry each day!Way to go girl!Looks like I'll have to bookmark this site! :)

Gentle Whispers said...

meeneee.. i is very impressed.. i think u is writing the very wells... i prays that u is checkings my blogs alsos