Saturday 2 August 2008

Moving on

So, I quit my first job within a couple of months, owing to boredom. I didn't think the job gave me enough space to flex my muscles and do my own thing at it. Also, I found it a thankless job. Cleaning people's copies over night and facing the tirade for missing out an 'a' or a 'the' in the morning. Couldn't handle it. Chucked it.
So, you might think I would be happy for having got out of the hell that I just described. I am. I really am happy and look forward to what awaits me. But, changing places is always accompanied by some grief or other. Some people find it difficult to adjust to new chairs, other find it impossible to get used to the new pc, some others can't adapt to the new temperatures. I, like many others, find it difficult to leave old people, though I can adjust with the new clan. And in this place, where I hardly lasted a couple of months, I still managed to make a couple of good friends - NP and PR. There were many other characters who came along. My managing editor with her whip, my editor with his strange sense of humour, my colleagues, some who couldn't handle a single copy in an hour and others who couldn't handle this fact!
It was fun, especially in the last week of my work to look around and just laugh at all the characters. I knew I wasn't going to be an integral part of anything that had to with the team. I knew I wouldn't be there the next week on. I knew I had very little to do with them, then on. Logically, it should have helped me stay detached. However, what happened was the contrary. By the penultimate day of work, I was wondering whether I would find such people again, ever. They are a bunch of funny, nice-hearted people, with outrageous individual peculiarities. They initiated me into Journalism. They taught me what lies at the roots of it, doing away all the glitz and glamour. I learnt a lot of essential rules -- about people, about the profession. I will never forget those lessons. People never forget ABC... This, I think was my ABC. I thank all those who taught me what they did.
I will miss their company and direly hope they miss mine too.
P.S.: *Tries moving on with a heavy heart*

4 comments:

Ace said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ace said...

So you get attached to people pretty soon.And find it difficult to leave them. Hmmm. Happens with most of us I guess. But you know you'll get over it. And find some equally interesting people at your next job. And the next. And the one after that, and so on. I am sure you felt the same emotions with a lot more intensity when you finished school, then junior college, and most of all when you left your beloved Wilson's just a couple of months back. But yeah, this was your first job and you won't forget the experience. Ever.

Gentle Whispers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gentle Whispers said...

Admit it... you'll miss me the MOST !!!

Who else will call you a million times on your extension number begging for your attention? Who else will call you and say lets go for lunch despite the fact that you ditched me all the time? Who else will beg you to read their stories and sub-edit them? Who else will call you the minute they set foot in the office and the minute they leave?

Me!Me!Me! That's who!!!

You know what you have to do once you get your new job right?

P.S : Stupid office computer in the DAILY section made me lose my entire earlier comment.

Hmmph !